[b-greek] RE: Thessalonikeis' Infinitive!

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 14:03:40 EDT

on 4/20/02 7:16 AM, Polycarp66@aol.com at Polycarp66@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/20/2002 5:13:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com writes:
>
> I agree: an implied TINOS (not TINA) or EMOU would be the best way to
> understand the passage:
>
> OU CREIAN ECETE EMOU GRAFEIN UMIN.
> _____________________
>
> That would be a genitive. I thought the subject of the infinitive was always
> in the accusative.

George:

I think you are right. But just to throw something else into the mix,
Wallace says that "when the infinitive requires a different agent, it is
almost always put in the accusative case." (p. 192). In an attached footnote
(n. 60), he says: "Occasionally even another oblique case can *function* as
the subject of the infinitive. In such instances it functions almost as a
relative pronoun. Cf., e.g., John 4:7; Phil 1:7, 29; Jude 24." However, I
find his examples dubious. In fact, it is hard to see how some of these
qualify as examples at all. I think I would have to see better in order to
buy this contention.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com