[b-greek] Re: Mark 9:2

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 06:15:48 EST

At 2:50 AM -0600 4/2/02, Luke Hartman wrote:
>I was reading in Accordance (you PC users don't know what you're missing),
>and became confused by something in Mark 9. I checked the text in
>Nestle-Aland to ensure that it wasn't a Gramcord error.
>
>HO IHSOUS TON PETRON KAI TON IAKWBON KAI TON IWANNHN KAI ANAFEREI AUTOUS EIS
>OROS hUYHLON KAT IDIAN MONOUS.
>
>My question is IDIAN. Why is it feminine? What does it refer to? I can't
>find a word that it would agree with (as I was taught to do with
>adjectives).

The combination KAT' IDIAN is pretty common, as is also IDIAi; usually the
noun implicit in such advebial expressions formed with feminine adjectives
is hODOS, working in exactly the same way as VIA and MENTE with Latin
feminine adjectives to form adverbial expressions. Certainly hODOS would
work with both of these: KAT' IDIAN hODON, IDIAi hODWi: "in a private way,
aside, privately."

>Also, what is the difference between the Aland text and the UBS?

I'm not sure what you're asking here; the Greek text is essentially the
same in the two, but NA27 offers a much fuller critical apparatus showing
textual variants.