[b-greek] Re: Pronunciation and subjunctives

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 20:28:09 EST

In a message dated 4/2/02 6:37:10 PM, vince_endris@hotmail.com writes:

>I also have a question about subjunctive mood. I first learned to translate
>
>these verbs with "might," "may," "should," or the like. However, I am
>now
>being told that I should not do that. How should I translate them?

Vince, the important thing about the subjunctive mood is that it is used for
action that is said to be conditionally possible. Surely you learned about
some uses in main (independent) clauses such as the "hortatory" subjunctive
such as AGAPWMEN ALLHLOUS, "Let us love one another." or petition, MH
EISENEGKHS hHMAS EIS PEIRASMON, "Lead us not into temptation." (I am aware
that Jeffrey translates this differently.) I think that what has to be
brought into English with the subjuntive mood is that is is one step removed
from reality and covers a range of possible action from a sense of oughtness
(and purpose) to the statement of what is conditionally possible.
Translation must be very sensitive to context. It can not always be
translated directly into the English expressions that we think of as
subjunctive. You might want to read through the examples in Brooks & Winbery,
Syntax of the NT.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College