[b-greek] Re: 2 Co 1:5 Displacement in Chiasm?

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 01:16:31 EST

on 4/6/02 11:48 AM, Paul O. Wendland wrote:

> Dear B-Greekers:
>
> 2 Co 1:5--
>
> hOTI KAQWS PERISSEUEI TA PAQHMATA TOU CRISTOU EIS hHMAS OUTWS DIA TOU
> CRISTOU PERISSEUEI KAI hH PARAKLHSIS hHMWN
>
> because just as there does abound the sufferings of Christ toward us so
> through Christ there does abound also our consolation.
>
> Martin in his commentary (loc. cit.) identifies this as a chiasm. If so,
> it's not the neatest chiasm I've ever seen since hH PARAKLHSIS hHMWN is out
> of sequence. My question is: would this arrangement have been felt as a
> displacement within the expected word order of a chiasm? That is, we'd
> expect hH PARAKLHSIS hHMWN to precede its verb but Paul shifts it to the end
> of the clause for emphasis? Or am I missing something basic again?
>
> Second question (assuming that it is a displacement) would there be any
> other examples of this sort of thing that any of your might be aware of?

Paul,

I see you are located on Seminary Drive so I would recommend going over the
the library and taking a look at pages 196-198 and 209 in:

Harvey, John D. Listening to the text : oral patterning in Paul's letters /
Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Books, c1998.

Harvey demonstrates several different ways of analysing 2Cor 1:3-7.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew