[b-greek] Re: Lk 24:17-28

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 04:18:01 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/2002 9:59:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rbsads@aol.com
writes:

KAI ESTAQHSAN SKUQRWPOI. (18)APOKRIQEIS DE hEIS ONOMATI KLEOPAS EIPEN PROS
AUTON, SU MONOS PAROIKEIS IEROUSALHM KAI OUK EGNWS TA GENOMENA EN AUTHi EN
TAIS hHMERAIS TAUTAIS;

There are 3 questions in this post.

1. I realize that there has recently been a question about ISTHMI, but
please consider this as continuing the thread.

My understanding with ISTHMI as an intransitive verb the aorist and future
can mean "stand still, stop." In the perfect and pluperfect, the
intransitive sense is intensive, "have stood" with the emphasis on the
present result of now standing.

How does the passive voice effect the meaning of the verb. The
translations seem to render the verse as "they stood still," which I
understand as intransitive.

Can there be an intransitive passive voice? Might the sense of the verse
be that the stranger's question caused them to stand still?

2. Another question is how to understand the adjective SKUQRWPOI? Is this
considered attributive or predicative? How can it be understood in
relation to the embedded subject?

3. A final question with regard to these verses is how to understand the
whole of verse 18.

The NIV, RSV and NRSV have an almost sarcastic rendering. "Are you the
only stranger in Jerusalem who does not know the things that have taken
place there in these days?"

This reading seems to be rather loose with the Greek. Daniel Wallace in
his grammar, pg 322, gives a similar reading, although he stays closer to
the Greek. But the logic of the sentence does not make sense to me.

"Are you the only one visiting Jerusalem and yet you do not know the
things that have happened in it?"

The KJV seems to me to make the best of the Greek, but the rendering gives
a sense different from these more modern translations. "Art thou only a
stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to
pass there in these days?"
________________________

1. The aorist passive of hISTHMI appears 5 times in the NT. In all cases it
simply means "stand."

2. I would think that SKUQRWPOI would be considered predicative though it
seems to have an adverbial force - "with downcast looks" or "sad-faced." It
appears but twice in the NT. In the other instance it references the
fasting of the Pharisees and their hypocritical appearance to gain attention
for themselves. It does not, however, always signify a feigned appearance.
Xenophon tells of Socrates visiting the painter and asking regarding men's
appearance reflecting their moods. The painter replies using this word but
not seeming to imply thereby that their looks are hypocritical.

3. I think you are overemphasizing the "visitor" meaning of PAROIKEIS. If
you take a look at either BGAD or BDAG, you will note that they also state
that it may be used without the connotation of being strange. There is the
function of KAI to be considered as well. It can be used in various
fashions. Here I tend to think it almost functions as a relative pronoun
(see I.e. under KAI in BGAD - offhand, I'm not sure how BDAG handles this).
I would suggest the translation, "The one named Kleopas answered and said to
him, "Are you the only resident of Jerusalem who doesn't know what has
happened these (past few) days?" It could also almost function as a
statement of surprise - "Surely, you're the only resident of Jerusalem who
doesn't know what has happened the past few days!"

gfsomsel