[b-greek] Re: Lk 24:17-28

From: Manolis Nikolaou (aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 06:46:29 EDT

> "The one named Kleopas answered and said to
> him, "Are you the only resident of Jerusalem who doesn't know what has
> happened these (past few) days?" It could also almost function as a
> statement of surprise - "Surely, you're the only resident of Jerusalem who
> doesn't know what has happened the past few days!"
>
> gfsomsel

George:

I don't disagree with your translation -I'm sure this is the way Kleopas
would have said that words in English; however the Greek syntax in this
case seems to be a little problematic:

SU MONOS PAROIKEIS IEROUSALHM KAI OUK EGNWS TA GENOMENA EN AUTHi EN TAIS
hHMERAIS TAUTAIS;

If I was to translate the passage the way it is (without worrying about
its meaning), I would say: "Are you the only resident of Jerusalem *and*
(not "who") you haven't noticed what has happened these past few days?".
That is to say "There is no way you haven't noticed what's going on here;
you are not the only resident of Jerusalem!"

Since this, apparently, doesn't make much sense, let me guess that a more
normal structure would have been:

SU MONOS EN IEROUSALHM OUK EGNWS TA GENOMENA EN AUTHi EN TAIS hHMERAIS
TAUTAIS?

That way, PAROIKEIS wouldn't have been necessary here and this little
confusion would have been avoided.

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece