[b-greek] Re: Lluke 24:15

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 01:14:48 EDT

on 4/9/02 11:28 PM, B. D. Colt at babc2@attbi.com wrote:

> I'm probably asking a dumb question again, but in next Sunday's
> gospel I find:
>
> Luke 24:15
> KAI EGENETO EN TWi hOMILEIN *AUTOUS* KAI
> SUZHTEIN KAI AUTOS IHSOUS EGGISA
> SUNEPOREUETO AUTOIS.
>
> Can someone please clarify for me what the AUTOUS that I've marked
> is doing in this sentence? I'm just not getting it.

Barbara:

An accusative substantive often functions semantically as the subject of an
infinitive when the the infinitive requires a different agent than that of
the main verb. Older grammars would call this an "accusative of respect."
But from a descriptive and functional perspective, it seems best to treat it
as the subject of the infinitive. You have to be careful, though, because
the accusative substantive functioning as subject of the infinitive may
**follow** the infinitive, as in your example above, and thus may be
confused as the direct object, which would also be in the accusative case.
But usually context will make clear whether the accusative is the subject or
direct object (sometimes the infinitive will have both). As for the above
example: "And it came to pass that, while *they* were talking and
discussing, Jesus himself approached and began traveling with them." The
main verb is SUNEPOREUETO, whose subject is IHSOUS. Since the subject of the
infinitive in the prepositional phrase is different from that of the main
verb, it is indicated by AUTOUS.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com