[b-greek] e-Greek & information discounts

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 14:10:06 EDT

I think this topic has obvious implications for the b-greek forum or I would
not have posted it here.

I took a trip this week across town to the SPU library and dragged (hauled)
home the recently published 1,500 page 1Cor by A.C. Theiselton (NIGTC,
Eerdmans 2000).

The NIGTC on 1Cor is the first commentary I have used where I am very
clearly aware of the presence of e-texts in the research. The most glaring
evidence of this is the constant citations from multiple English
translations. I wonder why I am supposed to be interested in this "data"
since it can be assumed that anyone using a NIGTC will have either
BibleWorks, Logos, BibleWindows or Accordance. In other words, the value of
e-text data which is generally available has been discounted in advance. So
what is it doing in a scholarly (!!) reference work on 1Cor?

The purpose here is not to trash the NIGTC volume on 1Cor. I am raising a
question about what e-texts are doing to the perceived value of information.
We now have most of the standard reference works in electronic form,
including F.Danker, TDNT, WBC, ABD, L&N, LEH . . . the list is long and
getting longer every day.

The inevitable side affect of all this information only a mouse click away
is that the information itself becomes commonplace. The perceived value of
it becomes seriously discounted. When I see some information cited from an
electronic source, I am tempted to say "so what?" Particularly when the
citation is not accompanied by any additional analysis.

I think we need to stop an ask ourselves, what do we have personally to
contribute to this discussion? Otherwise we could end up just throwing
e-text at each other.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti e-text. I have been using e-text
extensively for Greek & Hebrew studies since 1990, and have been an
Accordance junkie since fall of '94.

However, I have become aware that it is not is a significant contribution to
just throw some text at someone. And the e-text age has made this a
temptation that is difficult to resist.

greetings,

Clay

--