[b-greek] Re: Rev 5:12-13

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 16:13:14 EDT

on 4/11/02 5:18 AM, Kevin L. Anderson wrote:

> What is the effect of heading up the list in Rev 5:12 with only one definite
> article, whereas in 5:13 each item listed is accompanied by the definite
> article (cf. 4:11)?
>
> 5:12--THN DUNAMIN KAI PLOUTON KAI SOFIAN KAI ISCUN KAI TIMHN KAI DOXAN KAI
> EULOGIAN
> versus
> 5:13--hH EULOGIA KAI hH TIMH KAI hH DOXA KAI TO KRATOS.
>
> Kevin Anderson

Kevin,

The comments on the use of the article in the doxologies of Rev 5:12-13 fall
into three groups. Those who explain the repetition of the article in 5:12,
D. Aune (WBC), H.B. Swete. Those who explain the single article in 5:13
A.Bengel, H. Alford, F. Dusterdieck (Meyer's Handbook), R.H. Charles. And
finally those who consider the issue not worth addressing, most notably G.K.
Beale (NIGNT).

Aune's comments on the repetition of the article in 5:13 :

"these four attributes are all arthrous because they denote what is due or
requisite ... " (Winer, Grammar 134-135).

H.B. Swete suggests the article is repeated for "emphasis."

Bengel (c. 1740) states that the single article in 5:12 THN DUNAMIN, makes
the entire list function as one word. Alford, Dusterdieck and Charles,
simply parrot Bengel. Charles being the only one who fails to cite Bengel.

It seems that the repetition of the article hardly needs to be explained,
and forgive me if I am less than bowled over by D.Aune's treatment of it.
The repetition can be found in Rev 4:11, 7:12 and 1Pet 4:11, and certainly
other places I have not found.

The use of the single article before multiple constituents connect by KAI is
a topic which has been treated at length in the grammars. (George, this is
your que.) In keeping with this, Bengel's analysis sounds good to me.

I wonder if our resident linguists and DA authorities have anything to say
about this.

greetings,

Clay

--