lflondon@mindspring.com  london@metalab.unc.edu
Title: Nicholas Park's Homepage 29/3/97

Introduction Flow diagram Info. & links
Other links Making contact Index

This site has been visited CounterTimes

-----

Introduction

Sustainable living ?

"Making the best use of energy and resources"

Dedicated to my wife Carolyn and son Benjamin.

-----

Welcome to my home page. Over the past seven years I have been building a domestic scale system which aims to do the following things:(Why not take the bull by the horns)

Alleviate environmental problems by developing human life styles through a processes of hands on research, design and implementation.

On a fixed area of the surface of the earth the system aims to:

  • Accumulate nutrients to sustain climatic climax community.
  • No loss of nutrients from that given area.
  • Maximum absorption of light into living tissues.
  • Water loss through plant and animal tissue to equal precipitation rate.
  • Maximum utilization through transfer of nutrients.
  • Climatic diversity of genetic resources constantly increasing.
  • Genetic resources given maximum opportunity for increase and adaptation.
  • Maintenance and enhancement of living and non living cycles and processes.

Provide for human needs

  • Cloth
  • Food & water
  • Clean air
  • Fuel
  • Shelter
  • Transport(minimising need and impact)
  • Recreation
  • Stability & security in land and socially
  • Soil conservation
  • Energy utilization

Obviously this is an immense task and I feel there is much worthwhile work to do.

More information will be adding to these pages as the research and development of my project progresses, and as time permits.

The following flow diagram represents the complex connections between key components within my project design for a sustainable lifestyle. By clicking on the areas of the flow diagram you will be taken to a text area describing in more detail that key component.

Introduction Flow diagram Info. & links
Other links Making contact Index

-----

Flow diagram

-----

Flow diagram

An improved flow diagram still no flow yet!

The flow of energy and materials within this system changes depending on its inherent dynamics and needs, and is dependent on making the best use of energy and materials.

Click on an area of the flow diagram which interests you.

Introduction Flow diagram Info. & links
Other links Making contact Index

-----

Information section

Wormery

What is a Wormery ?

In its most basic form it is a container that’s free draining (can include a tap if required) with a colony of tiger worms (Brandling, Eisenia foetida) living inside. The bottom of the container is filled with a layer of limestone chippings for drainage. It also needs a tight fitting lid with an air vet in it which is covered with fine mesh. Once you have this all you need then is a medium for the tiger worms to live in and feed on (see below).

Why have a Wormery ?

  • A totally organic method of utilizing kitchen & garden waste
  • Make good nutrient rich potting mix
  • Worms for fish food
  • Liquid feed for tomatoes
  • Assist in soil development and recolonization
  • Reduce household waste going to landfill

What can be put into a Wormery ?

Worms can and will eat anything which we eat including. Cooked and uncooked fruit and vegetable waste from the kitchen and garden. They will also consume small quantities of paper and any soft plant (non-woody) waste from the garden. All the above provides the medium for the worms to live and feed on. This medium needs to remain moist.

What can’t be put in a wormery ?

Glass, Metals, Plastic Cooked and uncooked meat Woody material

Links for further information.

need a small paragraph describing each site

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Anaerobic Digester

An anaerobic digesters uses bacteria, which can survive without oxygen, to breakdown organic material. One of the products of this break down is methane hence the other names for anaerobic digesters: methane digester or bio-gas units. The anaerobic bacteria are naturally present in any area which has low and zero levels of oxygen. In these conditions the bacteria find other oxidation pathways to provide themselves with energy to live. One of these places is the human gut, suffice it to say, methane is gas ignites in all sorts of strange places, another is the so called "Will 'O' the Wisp" which is marsh gas formed when organic material is broken down in the anaerobic conditions of a swamp. Research has show that one adult sheep eating 5 kg of grass a day produces 21 litres of methane.So the sheep not only get energy and nutrients from the grass to live but also excretes energy and nutrients as waste in many different forms.

The anaerobic digester serves many functions, and is designed to be flexible and adaptable. This is so that it can cope with a large variety of loaded materials at different times. The two outputs are methane for energy and a highly nutrient rich innocuous broth. The gas can be used in anything which can use natural gas but the gas mixture does have contaminants which need to be removed in some burning situations. the nutrient broth is at present being used as a liquid feed in a hydroponics unit.

Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Fresh water invertebrate

These tanks hold breeding populations of various fresh water invertebrates which are harvested so that the population is maintained at it's optimum reproductive level. The invertebrates provide valuable food for young fish. They also provide a few more methods of utilizing various organic materials, producing usually liquid feeds, compost material and live food.

The fresh water invertebrates have very different living and feeding requirements so the placing of a particular colony within a system has to be done carefully. For example, two extremes might be, Tubiflex worms which have a high tolerance of low oxygen levels and feed on bacterial slime, Fresh water shrimps need high levels of oxygen and feed on simple plants and detritus.

Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Fresh water fish culture

Fresh water fish are grown in two places on site one in an tank closely associated with the hydroponics unit and the other as larger ponds. Each of these grow fish for human consumption. The fish are grow in a polyculture system which utilizes the varied feeding strategies of more than one species of native fish.

The fish are fed on invertebrates from culture and also from natural occurring food. The excrement from the fish tanks is regularly pumped through a hydroponics unit back into the fish tank so utilizing the nutrients and cleaning the water.

Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Hydroponic growing unit

This unit is used to grow vegetables and herbs. the system uses only nutrients derived from the site. This takes the form of a dynamic mixture of liquid slurries derived form plant juices, bio gas juice, urine, and waste water from the fish tank.

Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Compost toilet

The compost toilet is used to pre-process and store human faeces. the unit is modular so that the faeces can be further processed if needed with any other suitable elements like anaerobic digestion, composting or wormeries.

Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Human element

maintenance, eating, designing and experimenting are food for mind body and spirit.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Orchard

Part of the site has apples, pears, quince, plum, gage, and cherry trees planted in it.

Trees have many functions in a terrestrial habitat:

  • Converting light into carbohydrate
  • Shading the soil surface
  • Structurally stabilizing the ground
  • Retrieving minerals and nutrients from deep down
  • Providing habitat for other organisms
  • Providing leaves to develop soil structure
  • Fruit for consumption
  • Wood for crafts
  • Shelter from the wind
  • Water from condensation
  • Water penetration and absorption to prevent floods by decreasing surface water runoff
  • Pollen and nectar for bees and other insects
  • Pollen as nuclei for rain drops
  • Soil protection from heavy rains
  • Place to hang a hammock

Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Compost Heaps

Why Compost ?

Utilise a rich source of nutrients and humus which would otherwise be lost in the bin. When the compost is added to the soil it: increases the fertility of the soil, improves the soil structure, increase water holding capacity of soil and decrease household waste going to landfill.

What can be composted ?

  • Kitchen fruit and vegetable waste (cooked or uncooked)
  • Animal manure’s (horse and cow)
  • Wood ash (rich source of Potash)
  • Crop waste like brassica stems etc.
  • Rhubarb leaves and potato tops
  • Grass clippings (rich source of Nitrogen)
  • Hedge clippings and pruning’s
  • Bracken
  • Comfrey leaves (rich in Potash)
  • Nettles (rich in Nitrogen)
  • Hay and straw
  • Seaweed
  • Urine (rich source of Nitrogen)

What can be composted with caution !

  • Pet manure and their bedding (Need High temperature)
  • Card board and news paper (in small Quantities)
  • Fabrics feathers and hair (take longer)
  • Animal manure’s from intensive production (Can contain steroids, preservatives, and antibiotics)
  • Weeds seeds (need high temperature to kill)
  • Perennial and pernicious weeds (need to be killed usually by drying)

What cannot be composted ?

  • Glass Plastics and metal (dangerous)
  • Potato tubers (will transfer blight)
  • Kitchen meat scraps (attract vermin and flies)
  • Ashes from coal, preserved wood and mixed waste (contain toxins)

Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Soft fruit

A large variety of soft fruit is grown within the orchard setting. Once established the soft fruit requires little maintenance and crops are abundant. The fruit bushes form part of the shrub layer within the orchard reflecting the natural layered structure of a real woodland. This shrub canopy acts as the next light capture surface below the trees, so utalising more of the light that hits the area of ground.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Geese

I have three chinese geese which roam around under the orchard. They are very useful and at times a little destructive. One of their main functions is grazing the grass in the orchard so maintaining a good close cut grassland which is manured by the birds at the same time, they also feed in the ponds and manure them as well. The geese provide eggs and goslings for consumption and sales. At the moment I am still developing the right balances with these new arrival and I would advise anyone who would like and animals to make sure they get the correct number of stock for the area and make sure the area is well established before introduction.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Annual vegetables

This area demands quite a lot of time I grow organically. I also grow many unusual vegetables grains and roots many of which are Heritage varieties which can no longer be purchased through normal retail outlets due to seed registration costs.

Vegetables gardening raises many issues

  • healthy activity
  • fresh vegetables
  • awareness of seasons and climatic conditions
  • increased food variety
  • reduction in food bill
  • maintaining plant variety
Links for further information.
Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Grass

The site has various areas of grass all of which are grazed by the geese and during the winter parts of the vegetable plot has winter grazing rye planted on it as a cover crop and this is also grazed. The grassland acts as another level of light interception and capture for the site. It also provides great recreational space.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Herbs

At the moment only the front area of the plot has herbs growing in it. They are grown for culinary uses, nutrient concentrated preparations, garden herbal activators, and for future uses like crafts and medical remedies. The front area is begining to get well astablished and I will be using the plant stock to colonise under the orchard when the tree canopy begins to fill out. This will add yet another dimension to the light trapping potential of the area.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Plant extracts

  • Nettle tea: High in nitrogen and is used as a liquid plant feed
  • Comfrey Juice: High phosphate and is used as a liquid plant feed
  • Rubarb juice: High in pyrethrins is used as an insectacide
  • Garlic juice: used as an insect repelant
  • Woad as a dye
  • Weld as a dye

Many plants are used by people in many different situations at present I use a few but wish to develop this area more when time permits.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Pole lathe

The pole lathe is used to make a variety of wooded objects. It uses local waste green wood and is powered by human leg power alone. The shavings are sterilized and inoculated for fungi growing. The wooded objects are sold or used in the house and garden

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Fungi

I grow lignific fungi which grow on wood, I use local waste wood in the form of green uncut logs or pre sterilised green wood shavings. At the moment I have colonys of Shitake growing and hope to dry them when they fruit.

Links for further information.

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Chickens

Once the orchard area has balanced out and become more fertile with the geese I may introduce two chickens for eggs. At the moment the site could not stand the impact. A pair of ducks could also be introduced but they would also over exploit the site at the moment.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Rain water

Rain water is collected from all non-living surfaces e.g. house roof. The water is stored in containers until needed. I am still finding it difficult to store enough rain water to last the year due to lack of storage space. In the future I hope to utilize the rain water for domestic water supply. There are many hygiene consideration especially when I live close enough to industry to receive significant amounts of atmospheric pollution. I believe physical particulate filtration technology could cope with most of this and this is a future area of research.

Links for further information.
Nothing yet

Back to flow diagram
Back to index

-----

Links section
Introduction Flow diagram Info. & links
Other links Making contact Index

-----

Making Contact, Giving feedback & Developing ideas.

I am always trying to find like minded people who can help develop the above ideas.

Your Name?

Your E-Mail?

Country of residence?

    Please enter comments here.