NOTE: This Operation Plan was transcribed from COPY NO. 1016, typed 60 years ago. The pages have aged, the type is not always clear, and the text has been amended by hand-written notes (which will be shown in green, although it is not always clear where the hand-written notes are additions, or corrections or simply clarify faint text. Deleted text (strike-thru) is displayed in [grey].
Every reasonable step has been taken to preserve the original formatting, pagination, spelling, etc., but allowances should always be made for the possibility of errors in my transcription. --HyperWar
ANNEX "H" TO COMMANDER ALLIED NAVAL FORCES SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA OPERATION PLAN NO. 13-44.
- Submarines of the Pacific and Seventh Fleet are supporting this operation by the following:
- Maintaining an offensive reconnaissance line across the enemy's most probable line of advance.
- Maintaining observation and lifeguard services.
- Strategic patrols.
- Weather reports.
- Submarines of the Pacific Fleet will maintain strong patrols on the line FORMOSA-LUZON, and off TYOKYO BAY, and SASEBO. They will actively patrol waters where profitable targets may be expected and where they may intercept shipping attempting escape from carrier strikes. Units on patrol will give warning of the approach of enemy forces and attack the enemy to inflict maximum damage.
- Submarines of the Seventh Fleet will maintain strong patrols in MAKASSAR STRAIT and the Western entrances to the CELEBES and SULU SEAS. Submarines Seventh Fleet will, also, in coordination with Submarines Pacific Fleet, maintain a strong patrol of the HAINAN-Northern LUZON Area. These patrols are coordinated with Commander Submarines Pacific Fleet and units on patrol will give warning of the approach of enemy forces and attack the enemy to inflict maximum damage.
- All submarines on patrol will include weather reports in all regular radio transmissions. Despatch wear reports will be originated at any time definite indications of a typhoon are encountered.
- Lifeguard Submarines will be stationed and provide services as set forth in Appendix 4 to Annex "G".
- For submarine Areas and attack restrictions, see Appendix 5 to Annex "L".
Table of Contents ** Previous Annex (G) * Next Annex (I)