[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: John Hagelin: Old vs New Approach in Agriculture

Robert Stevahn wrote:

> B. McClinton (b.mcclinton@sk.sympatico.ca) wrote:
> : I agree that population growth is a serious problem. There is an
> : inverse relationship between population growth and standard of living. In
> : other words, the birthrate increases as poverty increases. Since the
> : highest birthrates are in the third world, we need to improve their
> : econmic situation before the population will be stabilized.
>
> I don't have a cite handy, but it is often reported that a First World
> child uses 7 times the resources as does a Third World child. That
> seems like a reasonable figure. If it's true, it means every 2-child
> family here consumes the resources of a 14-child family in the Third
> World. Best we put our own house in order before we start bothering
> others too much. And then we get to explain to the Third World that
> they simply can't enjoy our standard of living because it wouldn't
> be sustainable. Fun times ahead.
>
> --
> Robert Stevahn
> rstevahn@boi.hp.com
> [standard disclaimer]

I've seen stats similar to these as well. But this doesn't change
the fact these same third world children are also lucky to make past age
five. This will also not do much to save natural areas in these countries
from being plowed for food production. This is already happening with the
deforestation of rainforests in Central and South America for farmland.
Habitat loss is the biggest threat to wildlife.

Malthusian predictions about resource depletion have never been realized
because an alternative resource were always found. For example, we no
longer need copper wires to transmit telephone signals, glass fibres and
free air are being used as well. The same will eventually happen with
fossil fuel use as well as other energy sources become relatively more
economical.

Blair McClinton
b.mcclinton@sk.sympatico.ca

Follow-Ups: References: