[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Programs with government and nonprofit staff teams?

Our Kellogg funded project in Washington state is doing just what
you asked, in kinds of combinations.  We have approximately 23
management support groups (MSG) across our state in which farmers,
ranchers, extension, state and federal agencies, tribal members, and
environmental community people are functioning as teaching teams.
However, the "experts" in our groups also include the farmers,
ranchers, tribal members, and environmental community.

For lack of a better concept, we are using Stephen Covey's concept
of Three-Person Teaching where we have some initiation presentation
and book material (first person).  The MSGs meet in their own
communities following the presentation and help each other by
teaching each other (second person), putting these concepts to
practice, and teaching others (third person).

We have been at this for two years now and are quite pleased with the
impacts this is having.  We do believe the "expert model" is dead
however, so in our work, if there is an "expert", it is everyone.
Everyone has something to contribute from their point of view.

If you want more information, let me know.