[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fire Escape Garden

Brent Rollings <brollings@ProCard.com> wrote:

>beatnik wrote:
>>
>> Does anybody do any gardening in the city?  I am, and I'm surprised at how well the
>> plants do in spite of the heavy exhaust in my neighborhood.  I live in downtown New

>I live in a three story Victorian in downtown Denver.  Most of the yard has been converted into a garden.
>Their are 15 people in the seven apartment units in the building. We all contribute the to compost bin
>and take turns with garden chores.  Crops are kale, turnips, beans, peas, and eight to ten types of herbs.

I am nowhere near your level.  I do not have very much experience yet,
and I am limited to pots outside my apartment.  But my spouse and I
have had a lot of salads in which some or most of the ingredients
(lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, nasturtium leaves) came from my
"garden", some (not many) fresh sugar pod peas and squash for
stir-frying, tomatoes for sandwiches, turnip and mustard greens for
stir-frying, and several kinds of herbs.  I know this isn't enough to
count as sustainable agriculture, but it does make me feel good.