[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: News Advisory: Still Crazy After Oil These Years!

doregan@ix.netcom.com(Dennis M. O'Regan ) wrote:

>In the case of TMI, operator error was involved but it was not due to
>bypassing safety systems on purpose. As I recall, the PORV was stuck
>open and there was no way to guage the amount of water in the reactor.
>When they shutdown the water, the fuel melted. Can't compare TMI to
>Chernobyl where techs really screwed up.
>
>Taht being said, I agree that nuclear is environmentally benign if
>managed properly. However, huge amounts of waste ARE accumulating at
>the roughly 100 U.S. reactors in service today. Seems the gov't can't
>get off its ass to either reprocess the fuel or store it at a high
>level repository such as Yucca mountain.
>
>The future of nuclear power? Just about lifeless now.

The other major problem for nuclear is financial risk.  Nukes are
"lumpy" and come in packages that cost $1-5 billion, or more.
Construction takes 5-10 years, and sizable cost overruns are
possible unless management is efficient.  This has made it difficult
for utilities to find investors.

Tom Gray
Director of Communications
American Wind Energy Association

PS Support renewable energy!  Visit the Electronic Lobbyist For
Renewable Energy Web Site:

        http://www.netcom.com/~stevie2/budget.html

Interested in energy and the environment?  The free electronic
edition of _Wind Energy Weekly_ reports on energy-related
environmental issues, energy policy, and wind industry trade
news.  The electronic edition normally runs about 10kb in length.

For a subscription, send me an e-mail request.  Please include
information on your position, organization, and reason for
interest in the publication.
Tom Gray <tomgray@econet.org>