[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Yuri receives hypocrite of the week award (was Re: Ecological Economics and Entropy)

Joan Shields wrote:

> Up to half a billion (500,000,000) people in Africa suffer at least one
> serious malarial episode each year.  In 1993 it was estimated by the World
> Bank that within two years, due to loss of productive adult workers,
> malaria cost African economies 1.8 billion dollars.

So, on average, being sick with malaria only costs $1.8 a year in loss
of productivity? That's one hell of a cheap illness! One morning with
the runs, and I'm already out far more than that!

You are right. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. A lot of it is
even more dangerous, when it is not combined with a minimum of common
sense and the ability to check one's facts with simple back-of-the
envelope estimates.

--
Enrique Diaz-Alvarez            Office # (607) 255 5034
Electrical Engineering          Home #   (607) 758 8962

Follow-Ups: References: