[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

REQUEST FOR COMMENTS

To: Members of environmnetal, social justice, education, and other
grassroots organizations

BACKGROUND
As policy decisions are made regarding the National Information
Infrastructure (NII), it is key that the voices of the many small
organizations which currently use network information technology in their
struggle for social justice, against pollution and for the improvement of
their neighborhoods and communities are heard.  To insure that the
information needs of these groups are accounted for as the United States
federal government shifts to electronic dissemination of information, the
Bauman Foundation has commissioned a number of studies on the
inter-relation of sustainable development and the NII.  The findings of
these studies will be presented to the Information Initiative Task Force,
thus giving some representation to groups who may have different
perspectives that the usual policy setting agents.

YOUR CHANCE FOR INPUT
Fran Lynn of the Environmental Resource Project at the University of
North Carolina and I (Andrew Koebrick, a graduate student in Library
Science) would like to speak with (or interview via email) individuals
who are active in grassroots causes and who use the internet, fidonet,
econet, peacenet, ect. in their work.  If this sounds like you, please
send me a note telling a bit about the organization you work with and the
sorts of net resources you use.  We are especially interested in any
electronic government information you access.  Although we will end up
interviewing only about 15 people/groups, all input will be very welcome
and will be incorporated into our final report.

I look forward to hearing from many of you,

Andrew Koebrick
koeba@ruby.ils.unc.edu
School of Information and Library Science, CB #3660
Chapel Hill, NC 27519

P.S. If you know of BBSs, newsgroups, or other forums where this request
for comment would be appropriated, please either let me know or feel free
to forward it yourself.  Thanks.

P.P.S.  Sorry for the inevitable cross-postings