Re: [nafex] "Pinning" Splice Grafts

Tom Olenio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone ever "pinned" a splice graft as demostrated in this photo?
>
> > http://www.vanplant.co.nz/technicalinfo/1graft5.jpg

     My response---------

     Yes, I've done it when inarching girdled trees in an effort to hold the
rootstock under the bark flap.
     Otherwise, it is a total waste of time and can cause unnecessary damage to the
grafted parts.

     You wrote-------------

> My intial thought was it looked great, and it would make stabilizing the splice
> graft easy for a novice, while they wrapped it.  Then I wondered how the young
> tree may be damaged in thefollowing winters, as cold would be transmitted to the
> core of the tree.
>
> Any thoughts?

        My response--------

     I don't think any additional cold damage would occur either way.  However,
pinning or using a nail for this purpose serves no purpose!!

ed

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just
great fares at Hotwire.