Re: [nafex] Re: Big 4 Commercial Pears

> Could it be that it's hard to beat the 'Big 4'?
> There's certainly LOTS of diversity out there in the pear world.
>
> - Joseph Postman

Hi all:

So far I have to agree.  I have been trying out assorted pear cultivars
and have been mostly dissappointed.  Still, hope springs eternal.

I wonder if I got mislabeled scion, in some cases.  We fruited out
enough "Luscious" to decide we did not like it.  The fruit was not a
"more intensely flavored Bartlett".  It was gritty to boot.  It is on
this year's cull list.  So is NY 10312.  I am looking forward to
fruiting Potomac, Blake's Pride, Devoe, Duchess, Nova and Sheldon.  They
are probably a good three years out.

Finally, a note to Lucky: the astringent pear you described might be a
perry (fermented pear juice) pear.  Blenders will throw in all kinds of
pears that taste nasty by themselves.  Astringency adds body to the
final drink and the tannin molecules are the backbone that the aroma
components latch ahold of....or that is what the wine lovers tell me.

--

                                                     -Joe Hecksel
                                                      Eaton Rapids,

Never take investment advice from a man with two first names.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/974674266/