[nafex] Fall vs. Spring Planting--Redux

After reading all the comments about the value of planting such fruits as
currants and blueberries in the fall, I wonder if fruit trees too gain a
season of growth with fall planting.  Do they?  Apples and pears,
specifically?  I've planted peach trees in both spring and fall and had the
same results.  But......this was in a hot climate with 340 day growing
season.  I planted to columnar apple trees in the spring in 1998 in Illinois
and they seemed to do nothing for the entire season.  The following spring,
they took off.  Would I have had gained a year by planting them in fall?
Doreen Howard
Zone 4b--Wisconsin

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/975638312/