From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
To: nafex@egroups.com <nafex@egroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 1:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: good stuff perhaps

>Something to remember when using 'uncomposted or fresh' bark or chippings,
>is that if these products can rob the soil of nutrients during the
>decomposition process. I'm not nixing the idea, only saying that using
>this stuff may require other ammendments...........vic

My impression/guess is that with blueberries, the fungi that accomplish the
decomposition are the already mentioned associates that the blueberries need
to thrive. I worked for an old guy- in his 90's, who had 40+ year-old
blueberry bushes he had planted over cedar logs that were buried sloping
down
from drain tiles leading to the logs from a spring. The bushes were 8 ft.
tall, bore huge crops and were never fertilized or irrigated. (irrigation is
often considered a given for blueberries here.)

As a new tangent- has anyone had any luck finding compatible and
useful/edible understory/groundcover plants for blueberries? Besides
quackgrass, I mean. ;) Plants that help keep weeds out, like the same
conditions as the blues', and add a yield to the mix?
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364  Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design
&
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"