[nafex] Re: Macoun apple

My personal experience of growing Macoun is next to nil; on tree om
M7 in its first year of bearing, picked too late.

Around 1979-81 I used to buy Macouns from an elderly couple who had a
small commercial orchard on the southwest edge of Ottawa. I think the
trees were fairly old, so they must have been reasonably satisfactory
in terms of bearing. The quality was consistently magnificent. The
flavour was very good of the McIntosh type, a little less aromatic
than McIntosh but a little sweeter, and equal to the very best
commercial McIntosh I have ever eaten in the McIntosh's home St.
Lawrence Valley. The texture was the best of any apple I have known,
super-crisp without being hard. The colour was an apple-breeder's
dream, a solid bright deep red.

I suspect that Macoun may be too much of a northern apple for
Virginia, and that of McIntosh types Spartan would probably do well
there. The best flavoured Spartans I have eaten came from the
Okanagan Valley which gets very hot, although the nights may be
cooler than Virginia's. Spartan's pollen parent was Newtown
(Albemarle) Pippin.

Doug Woodard