Blueberry for North Carolina?

A friend of mine is buying a house in Charlotte, and I'd like to give
her a bush or small tree as a housewarming present.  She's moving to a
new subdevelopment, with (no doubt) crummy soil.  One side has full sun,
the other partial shade.

Do you think a blueberry stands much chance there?  If so, can anyone
recommend an easy-to-grow blueberry?  (Or two?)  Next priorities would
be an attractive plant, and, of course, decent fruit would be nice.  If
not a blueberry, any other suggestions for attractive fruiting plants
that don't make a mess?  I'm also considering a camellia.  (off topic,
but pretty)

Ginda Fisher
too far north to know North Carolina flora