Re: [nafex] Bean Innoculent

The innoculant for beans is a bacteria, while mycorrhizal fungi is a whole
different organism.  To confuse things, though, research shows that
mycorrhizal fungi doesn't work by itself - bacteria and other organisms work
with it.
    And yes, bacteria have the ability to ingest pieces of RNA and DNA from
dead organisms and actually use it - make it part of their own genes.  When
we put genes in plants and the plants grow in soil, it's entirely possible
for bacteria to take up those genes, through more than one way.  So use of
genetic engineering can make it possible to move genes from different
sources into organisms that never had them before.
    I have an article that explains this in more detail and will send it if
anyone asks privately -it's too long to post.
-Lon
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Bean Innoculent
>Date: Tue, Feb 6, 2001, 6:07 AM
>

>Hello All,
>
>First, I want to thank Lon for his article on mycorrhiza and bacteria, in
>this season's Pomona.
>
>Second, I would like to ask what the difference is between the innoculant
>used on beans for nitogen fixing microbes, and the mycorrhiza being sold?
>Same family, different strain of fungi?
>
>Lastly, Lon spoke of soil bacteria being able to use/incorporate genes as
>part of their natural functioning (not fully understood yet).  My question
>is, by man putting genes in places they were never intended to go, is
>there a risk of bacteria incorporating genes they otherwise would never
>have been exposed to, and creating new bacterial problems?
>
>Basicly, if they say that genetic engineering in plants is safe, yet we do
>not fully understand how soil bacteria may incorporate these new plant
>genes, how can the safety statement be made?
>
>I am neither pro/con on this subject, I just want to understand.
>
>Thanks,
>Tom
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio