Re: [nafex] Re: an good idea.....maybe

lostman_amiga@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- In nafex@y..., Ginda Fisher <ginda@c...> wrote:
> > I looked at your pictures.  I don't know enough to give much helpful
> > criticism, but it looks like it will be a lot of fun to try it.  I was
> > surprised to see wintergreen, as I think of it as a cold-climate plant.
> > (I've only seen it growing wild in zone 4, but I suppose that doesn't
> > prove anything.)  Be warned that it's not terribly prolific (at least in
> > zone 4) and the fruits don't taste all that good - actually, I prefer
> > chewing on the leaves.
>
> Thank you for the tip.  I was told that wintergreen grows well in shade
> down here, but I could be wrong. I just got two plants, I'm going to try
> it out and see.  I would be curious about what else you do with the plants
> any recipies or teas?
I've only browsed on wild plants.  As they are a slow-growing perennial
with evergreen leaves, I've never picked more than a leaf or two at a
time - not enough for recipes.  They also seem to like acid soil - at
least, the wild ones I've seen tend to grow in pine duff.  They
certainly do well in shade.  Even in zone 4, that's where they usually
grow.  Maybe "dappled sun."

The leaves are bitter, with a strong "wintergreen" flavor, and I find
them pleasantly refreshing to chew.  When the flavor is gone, I usually
just spit them out.  I suppose you could swallow, but they are tough,
waxy, stringy, and unappealing to this large mammal.  The fruits are
waxy, with a milder (in my limited experience - I don't usually find
fruits) wintergreen flavor, and a pretty red color.  I imagine you could
make a decent tea from either part.

> > I may be reading the scale wrong, but I know that stella cherry wants
> > full sun.  I'm not sure it gets it tucked behind the pomegranate.
> > (which makes me jealous.  it would be fun to grow pomegranate)
>
> The trees will be growing close togather, but won't be covering each other.
> I'm still a little consern with the light.  There won't be any direct light
> till arond noon. Stella is supposed to be good for the south. I just planted
> it today, so we will see

It's certainly good in the north.  My uncle has one in zone 5.  It's a
tiny tree, but bore a little fruit in its second year.  The fruit was
similar to, and nearly as good as, Bing.  He has another cherry tree
which almost never bears, because the blossoms are usually killed by
frost.  I don't know if it's worth anything as a pollen source.  (It's
also too tall to pick, even when it does bear.)  Other than rodents
(mice, chipmunks, rabbits, deer) it hasn't been bothered by pests, yet.

> > Currants:  If you want to make jelly (and you will) you will want more
> > than one currant.  They are also very easy, and bear very young, for
> > quick gratification (for a fruit).  I have grossly mistreated currants,
> > moved them around, let them dry, planted them in moderate shade, and
> > haven't lost one, yet.  (They do a lot better with some sun, but they
> > seem to hang on even without it.)  I haven't tried jostaberries, but
> > others on this list like them less than currants.  If you want variety,
> > try a red and a black, or try an "ornamental" Crandall currant.  There
> > are lots of "edible" plants which aren't worth eating - I was astonished
> > to grow this ornamental currant and discover it's fruit is terrific,
> > like a small potent grape.
>
> I will be making some jelly. I got book on preserving.  I made some
> brandied pears last month. I will look at the archived posts about this
> issue. Im curious about both. I will look at the currents more seriously.

Nothing could be easier to jellify than currants.  Just cook them
gently, stems and all (with a little water, if you are worried about
scorching) until the fruit looks cloudy and the juice comes out, and
strain out the juice.  Then add a bit less sugar than you have juice,
and cook until you reach the "jelly" stage.  If you get the temp right,
you will get nice firm clear jelly, with a wonderful color and a flavor
that can't be beat.  Don't bother adding pectin or anything like that.
I find all "sugar syrup" cooking tricky, and I think the only way to
really get it right consistently is to practice until you recognize what
the stages look like.  Thermometers can be helpful, but are hard to use
in kitchen-sized batches.  (No doubt they work well in commercial
kitchens, where you are cooking enough to really submerge the bulb
without hitting bottom.)  I have found the Joy of Cooking helpful.  (I
have the old one.)  I have made batches that were undercooked and
overcooked, and both tasted just fine - they just didn't have as
pleasant a consistency on the toast.

Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups