Re: [nafex] Sea buckthorn / seaberry / Hippophae rhamnoides

One snag with the plant is that most of the material available in N. America
comes from a dry, cold winter climate and needs very well drained soil or it
gets root rot very easily.  I have a set of papers from a world conference
on the plant and the conclusion there was that there is need to locate and
develop biotypes from places where it tolerates more moisture in the soil.
It's a very interesting plant otherwise.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom  See new additions to the site, Feb. 2001,
plus word on my grape book.

----------
>From: dwoodard@becon.org
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Sea buckthorn / seaberry / Hippophae rhamnoides
>Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2001, 9:11 PM
>

>For those who are interested, there is an 11-page article
>"Sea-buckthorn: a promising multi-purpose crop for Saskatachewan" at
>http://www.agr.ca/pfra/shbpub/shbpub62.htm
>including 3 1/2 pages of references. From memory the fruit has a
>vitamin C content of about 130 milligrams per 100 grams. The berries
>also contain oils supposed to be medicinal. Looks like a promising
>nutraceutical plant.
>
>Doug Woodard
>St. Catharines, Ontario

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups