Re: [nafex] Spring pruning - apple and grape

Ginda,
Tip pruning or what the deer have done is non-productive. In the pruning
workshops they always say,  "if you don't want fruit, prune like the deer
do!" This damage can be very hard on the tree compared to large cut pruning
for framework. Without seeing the tree it's hard to say exactly what to do.
Depending on how high you want your first laterals for mowing purposes
(remember the limbs will start to droop once they are bearing) you may be
able to take off some of the lower limbs that have been damaged. Where your
tree is very young, you probably don't have much there anyway and you still
have time to build that all important framework. Good luck

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM