[nafex] feijoas, mice, and cayenne

Just now returned from New Zealand, it certainly is all it's cracked up to
be. Got hooked on lamb, feijoas, passion fruit, and meat pies.

Upon returning, the snow is from 2' deep to bare spots-- got a first look at
the new orchard-- could spot the manchurian apricots 50 yards away the voles
took such a liking to them. Stripped every little branch down to 1/16" that
was under snow. Barely touched the prunus americana. The apple most on their
delicatessen list was Lodi, didn't miss an inch........These plants are the
ones with low branches i didn't get screen around, or alum foil.

Somewhere in the  250 nafex posts that have happened since we left I
remember reading about coating chewed areas 'yesterday if not before', (just
in case it can heal).....So I found our can of wood sealer, added a big
spoon of cayenne powder, dug through the foot of snow and painted away.  The
wood sealer isn't something most folk know about, but it may have worthwhile
uses to the orchard world. It's trade name is 'Mobilesur M' from Mobile Oil
Co. Its commercial use is in sawmills for coating ends of valuable logs.

It has found a common use among woodworkers to seal green wood end grain -
so is available in woodwork shops and catalogs, sold by the gallon as 'Green
Wood Sealer'  It is a heavy stretchable emulsion that is clear and
waterproof upon drying.

I added the cayenne to hopefully disuade further dining. Anyone know of a
substance tested to be distasteful to all commers? I'm kicking myself for
not thinking of this last fall to use on the plants too difficult to get
foil or screen around. Or is it possible it could replace such altogether?
Sure would be easier.    Mn. Del

Get great low international calling rates
from Net2Phone! Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/xnHDCB/kJXCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM