Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts

I also now of chestnut growers who have planted Collossal without Nevada
that have never had nuts.
     Gordon
I haven't checked the catkins that closely to see if they produce any
pollen.  I've never seen nuts or signs of female flowers.
----------
 >From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
 >To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
 >Subject: Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts
 >Date: Sat, Apr 14, 2001, 5:34 PM
 >

 >If it has catkins, I wouldn't call it sterile.  Maybe "male".  It
 >doesn't sound like a star pollinator, though.
 >
 >Has anyone heard of a female chestnut?
 >
 >"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:
 >>
 >> I have a good number of chestnuts on my place, all seedlings, with all
four
 >> main species represented in the genes.  However, I have a "Colossal"
 >> seedling that is apparently sterile.  It is more than 15 years old and
has
 >> been producing catkins (though not many) for at least half that time.
There
 >> is such a mix of chestnuts in the area I can't believe SOMETHING
wouldn't
 >> pollinate it, but I'm not sure I've even ever seen female flowers on it,
let
 >> alone a single bur or nut.  Knowing the mixed ancestry of the variety,
I'm
 >> not suprised that a seedling of it might be sterile, depending on how
the
 >> genes reassorted, but I was wondering how common such sterile trees are.
 >> Any information on that out there?
 >> -Lon Rombough
 >> Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
 >> http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom
 >>
 >> Join the Garden Writers List
 >> To subscribe, send a blank message to:
Gardenwriters-subscribe@topica.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM