[nafex] Re: frost

My lowest temperature (thus far) this spring was 27 F.  I think I
managed to delay budbreak by using the piling snow method (but we had
more snow than some years, though never permanent).  And when the low
temps came I used a sprinkler on my Japanese plums and miniature
lights on my apricot (and on the coldest night, I wrapped some of the
limbs (with the lights on) with towels.  This was practical because
my trees are young and small.  But I may get a crop this year.

There was an article in the recent Pomona about protecting apricot
trees from frost.  If I remember the article correctly the focus is
on two things:  1) Delay bud break, and 2) protecting blossoms once
bud break occurs.

I had some frost damage on other things (like blackberries), but in
most cases the bud wasn't killed, just a few of the earliest leaves.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "carolyn wood" <natvwine@c...> wrote:
> With all the frozen fruit being reported, I am remembering a photo
of some
> Chinese farmers working in a kiwi "orchard." The rather large
trunks were
> wrapped in some white material and I assumed it was to help keep
the vines
> dormant longer.
> Has anyone studied this practice and might it be of use with
apricots and
> cherries?
> My apricot trees are to be ornamental for the fourth year in a row.

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM