[nafex] Re: bags for bugs

Three years ago I tested the two layer apple bags (grey outside, red
inside) on my asian pear tree (we have about 90% plus percent codling
moth damage if we don't spray).  I found with the bags I still got
70% damage.  They just chewed little holes through the bags towards
the end of the season.  The fruit was not as badly damaged early in
the season though, so it was easy to just cut out a bad spot or the
core.  It is a really labor intensive effort.  It might work if the
bags were pretreated with an insecticide, but otherwise I wouldn't
recommend it if coddling moths are a problem in your area.
  --- In nafex@y..., "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@i...> wrote:
> Last year at this time, we had a discussion about covering our
apples with mesh
> bags or pieces of stocking ... to protect against codling moth and
other pests.

> Does anyone have any results from that experiment?
>
> A friend has codling moth and is wondering about covering her
apples with paper
> bags.   I don't know what to tell her.
>
> Derry
>
> Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@i...
> Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
> phone/fax (604) 856-9316
> Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM