Re: [nafex] Columnar apples

FWIW, I have the "Maypole" ornamental type, which has the virtue of being
attractive, with dark pink, nearly red flowers and decent disease
resistance.  Fruit is like a small McIntosh - edible, but nothing wonderful,
though it has red flesh.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
>To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Columnar apples
>Date: Wed, May 9, 2001, 9:14 AM
>

>Joe,
>
>I agree that the columnar apple trees are a marketer's mirage.  The ones I've seen
>definitely grow branches and these must be cut off early and the person who buys
>this does not know it ... result is a dwarf semi-branched apple tree with
>bland-tasting fruit.
>
>Also, they are marketed as stand-alone apple trees, but they are not self-fertile.
>
>Derry
>
>Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
>Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
>phone/fax (604) 856-9316
>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>:
>: My two cents is that the columnar form stinks for raising quality
>: fruit.  One vertical with
>: many 6" side branches and fruit on side branches.  Roger's kept pushing
>: vigorous side branches at 30 degrees from vertical which then competed
>: with the central leader.  Stark's response was that the grower had to
>: prune them to make them look like the picture in the catalog.  Roger was
>: put-out because he could prune *any* tree to look like the picture.
>:
>Columnar apples are an
>: bad idea that was some Madison Avenue types used as a gimmick to foist
>: trees onto the naive public.
>
>:
>:                                             -Joe Hecksel
>:                                              Eaton Rapids, Michigan

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM