[nafex] Re: No Fruit

Thanx again for your advice. I will see if I can try this method on
the remaining flowers (if I'm not to late).

I did do this for my new Cornelian cherry this year too.  I put
them in about late December. Both tress are small and only had about
4-8 blossom clusters.  The blooms came so early, I was afaid there was
nothing around to polinate it. It seemed to work.  I noticed a few
tiny swelling berries on the branches, but they seem to dry up a few
weeks later.  I thought the trees were to young for fruit or they were
not fully established yet. But the nanking cheeries look ready eat
now.

--- In nafex@y..., Don Yellman <dyellman@e...> wrote:
> For Robert:
>
>     I don't know anything about autumn olive, but I do know that it
> often takes trees several years to begin to set fruit, even though
they
> may bloom profusely.  Other factors may influence fruit set as well,
> such as extremely early bloom and lack of pollinating insects.
Sweet
> corn can wind pollinate, but fruit trees can't.
>
>     As an example, I have two Cornelian cherries out in the front
yard,
> of two different varieties, spaced about 15 feet apart.  They are
now in
> their fourth season, but began to bloom lightly in the first season
> following planting.  They  have grown up and increased bloom each
year
> thereafter.  But they never set a single Cornelian cherry.  Blossoms
> would fall off, just as you describe with your autumn olive.
Cornelian
> cherry is a plant that really blooms early --- even before apricots
and
> plums.
>
>     This spring, I took a small artist's brush and went back and
forth
> between the trees when they were about at full bloom, transferring
> pollen from one tree to another.  I couldn't see the pollen on the
> brush, but I figured it was there.  I did this several times.  Made
me
> feel very much like a bee.  There were absolutely no pollinating
insects
> around, other than myself.
>
>     Sure enough, even though the trees are still quite small ---
about 4
> 1/2 feet --- I now have a large set of Cornelian cherries on both.
Even