[nafex] Irrigating young apple tree

Last spring I put in a small Jonathan on M111.  (It was small enough
that Hilltop apologized for lack of stock, and asked if I wanted it
anyway.)  The "root" was mostly a stem, with a few scraggly roots
trailing off.  It did okay last year, but after I pruned it this spring
it wasn't much taller than a year ago.  (It has branches, though.)

Two questions:

1)  How much water does it need this year?  (Counting rain, of course.)

2)  How much water does it want for optimal growth?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
Eastern Mass., zone 6