[nafex] Re: (Fwd) Sea Buckthorn,Blue Honeysuckle, Magnolia Vine (J. Van Hazi

I have three of the blue Honeysuckle from "One Green World". The
plants are very healthy and attractive, about 4 years old and 3-ft by
2-ft.  I can't recommend them though because the production is so
scanty.  I would be hard pressed to pick more than 1 or maybe 2 cups
from the bushes...this is much less than the production I get off my
currents and gooseberries.  The flavor is okay but not very
distinctive...not as good as a real blueberry.  I remember some
discussion that they may produce better in colder climates.  I'm in
zone 6 Colorado with hot dry summers.  As for the magnolia vine I saw
some interesting wild collected native varieties in the Heronswood
catalogue http://www.heronswood.com/.  They also have some wild
collected hardy kiwis.  They are selling them as ornamentals but they
might be interesting for fruit/hybridization.

> In a Pomona Article 3 or 4 years ago ( I photocopied it from a NAFEX
> friend but failed to record the issue]  by M.N.  PLekhanova on
Genetic
> Resources of Sea Buckthorn, Blue Honeysuckle, Viburnum, Actinidia,
and
> Schizandra in the USSR and their Utilization  ,  the author states
> that " sea buckthorn is propagated by green and lignified cuttings"
> and  Blue Honeysuckle "mainly by green cuttings".   Does anyone have
> advice on techniques or references in English toward this end ?
Also