Re: [nafex] a whitney sport

Claude,

Flowering Crabapples by Father John Fiala. Timber Press, Portland Oregon, 1994.

The emphasis is on ornamental crabapples, but it is a good book.  No mention is
made of bloom time, or fertility of the pollen.

The reason I wondered about Whitney is because of recent confusion with the two
Crimson Beauties and some other variety ... there was a European and a N American
version of apple with same name.

Fiala says Whitney is a European commercial crabapple, 5.5 cm, yellow with red
stripes.

Crawford describes what must be another Whitney when he says Whitney is a small
crabapple from Illinois.

Donald Wyman, Crabapples for America, describes Whitney as European origin before
1869. 5.5 cm yellow, striped red.

Encyclopedia of Hardy Fruits, U P Hedrick (US) 1938 says Whitney was grown from
seed by A E Whitney, Franklin Grove, Illinois and was first described in 1869.
Skin light yellow, shaded and striped with red, good to very good, pick late
August early Sept.

Fruit Berry and Nut Inventory, Second ed. 1993, says Whitney originated with A R
Whitney, Franklin Grove, Illinois. Described by Warder 1869. Light greenish-yellow
with red blush or stripes.

I have photos of my Whitney from 2000. I was so impressed with it's appearance,
but mine is 90% red with a yellow background.   I didn't measure it, but it looks
like it's easily 2.5".

One Whitney or two?   Or same Whitney, but seedlings and sports everywhere?

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase  email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Subject: Re: [nafex] a whitney sport

: Derry,
: Could you tell us who (or what) is "Fiala" that you mention in your message?
: Also, what makes you think that the Whitney grown in Europe would be
: different? The information I have about the origin of Whitney is Illinois,
: around 1860.
:
: I also have some Whitney that fruited for the first time last fall - a nice
: looking crab, but I picked them too late and the flesh had become quite soft.
:
: Claude
: