[nafex] Re: Sources for "lunchbox" apples(edible crabs)

Lucky,
I will have the following crabs available in 2002:
Chestnut, Kerr, Centennial, Trailman, Rescue, Dauphin, Renown,
Rosybrook.
These are all crabs. Frank Foltz has told me that between Kerr,
Centennial, Chestnut, and Trailman, that Trailman is the best
tasting. (I'm almost positive that he has tried Centennial.) I have
tried all the above except Centennial which is highly rated even by
more southerly growers, its also apparently a dwarf on standard
stocks. I really like Kerr and Chestnut Crab and am anxious to try
Centennial and Trailman due to the reports of their very high
quality. Trail is another crab that is discussed, some say its the
best, Frank says its not worth it. I suspect there may be some mix-up
between Trailman and Trail.
Dauphin is a super early bearer, (bearing on one year wood like
Anoka), and Renown is supposed to be very, very sweet and hardy to
zone 2, maybe even 1 although I haven't tried it.
I will also have several others that are rather small but not
considered crabs by most. (Red Sparkle and some of the Nor series).
I took over the mailorder aspect of Frank Foltz' nursery- "Northwind
Nursery". He is still selling locally I believe, he had a website at
www.northwindnursery.com but last time I checked it it wasn't up.
So yes, thanks for asking!
Kevin B
Edible Forest Nursery