[nafex] Re: Pruning Worm

--- In nafex@y..., "Dr. Ethan Natelson" <natelson@p...> wrote:
> Dear Doc,
>
>      I assume you are referring to the limb girdler.  This is an
insect
> about 1 inch long and armored like a Sherman tank.  They are
grey-brown and
> difficult to see against the bark.  They form a ring around the
limb, which
> is then girdled and eventually falls off.  They lay their eggs in
the shaft
> of the part of the branch that remains.  They are difficult to kill.
 They
> prefer Mimosa trees but will even girdle thick Wisteria vines, when
active.
> I solved my problem with a 20 foot length of hollow aluminum tubing
about 10
> years ago.  I would spot the varmints high in the tree at the site
of their
> activity and then nudge them with the pole.  They would fall into
the hollow
> tube, taking the slide down to ground level where they could be
disposed of.
> After 2 seasons of this technique, their population declined to
zero, never
> to be seen again.
>
>                                    Regards, Ethan
>
> Thank you, Dr. Natelson. Nice hearing from you again. I
guess pruning worm was a local name. I'll be looking for
the insect with your description, now that I know what to
look for. Plenty of wisteria and mimosa for them to girdle
around here. I was sure that the eggs were in one of the
ends, but I had guessed wrong and was burning the cut-off
branchs. A Sherman tank, eh? You are dating yourself. I
remember them also. Thanks again. Doc  (I need a Bazooka)

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/