[nafex] Ways to promote NAFEX membership

I really think that an organization needs to promote itself on the
Web.  For example, the Northern Nut Growers Association, makes a lot
of useful information available even to non-members, and were I in a
position to grow nut trees, it would be the first place where I'd
check for recommendations and other advice.

At the same time, this does not address the problem of promoting
membership in NAFEX.  I guess the question is, Do we exist to promote
our organization or its objectives?  Perhaps being open and sharing
as much info without the need for membership is the best way to pick
up more members.  Or, is Pomona, the species experts,  and an annual
convention all we can offer a member?

There have recently been many excellent suggestions made by members
of this listserv for promoting NAFEX.  A one-time mailing of sample
copies of Pomona could perhaps pick up some enthusiastic master
gardeners.  Working with the extension services might be one way to
identify those who are most interested in fruitgrowing.  The copies
of Pomona we mail to master gardeners could simply have a bound-in
recruitment letter and membership application blank as a centerfold.

Each member being a spokesperson and making his plantings available
to the public and reporters is another excellent suggestion.  It is
probably the best way to promote membership.   I can read all I want
about NAFEX, but I only really get excited when I read or see on TV
someone who's growing something unusual in my region.  That gives me
a local contact and ideas of things I might also try.  It's also
likely that I'll enjoy the camraderie of others who share a passion
for fruit growing.

The formation of local chapters is another excellent suggestion.  But
as with any organization, attendance will have to compete with other
demands for members' time.   I see this in every organization to
which I belong.  In one, a genealogical society, we've recently
increased our membership from about 100 to 150.  Yet, it will be the
10 to 20 percent of those new members who really volunteer, advance
the goals of the group, and get actively involved over the long run.
The others come for the ethic food and celebrations and little
else.--Sam Brungardt, Saint Paul, Minn.

The dilemma about dwindling membership