[nafex] zone 3 blackberries ?

Just had our first taste here in Z2/3 of real blackberries! This is their
third year, I believe they're called Illini Hardy- an upright "zone 5"
blackberry. Have got 10 nice bunches that are getting good color, so no
problem with fall frost.
I keep trimming them at knee height, and plan to just wrap the patch around
with old wood slat snow fence...hoping to keep them snow covered all winter.
they proved way too brittle to bend over at any stage of growth, but it
seems this top pruning is forcing lower laterals that will form next years
floricanes.
Am also trying Chester thornless, they seem a bit less hardy and seem to
ripen a bit too late, but some are showing color. they're a trailing type so
the pruning isn't so necesary.  Mn. Del

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM