RE: [nafex] grafting technique and ?'s

budgrafting reply
Brian, On the rootstock sprouts that were 1/8" or under I found the bark way
too fragile to peel, and on wild choke cherry it seperated poorly even on
1/4 " stock. So I took a sharp knife and, trying to match the bud scion
dimension, I made a cut 1 to 2" long down the rootstock's new growth stem,
trying to not go deeper then 1/3 of the stem thickness. I could do grafts
down to 1/16" this way.
If these words don't work I could try a simple drawing and send as an
attachment privately. Del

Something I'd like to understand....When bark is cut (as opposed to peeled)
the scion has access to both sides of the cambium..... But when inserting a
bud under the bark only the outer side of the sapwood contacts the innerside
of the scion-bud stock.....so

Question?...when the bark is seperated is the cambium split in two equally
(so it doesn't matter which surface you try to join to)?
Or is the part that is attached to the bark, or the part attached to the
sapwood, the best for callusing and mating? Mn. Del

>From: "Raby, Brian {20-4~Indianapolis}" <BRIAN.RABY@ROCHE.COM>
>Del,
>Sounds interesting since I have several varieties in the fridge that I
>would
>like to try and graft this summer/fall.  In your description in #3 below,
>are you saying that you peeled the bark back off the rootstock, inserted
>your variety behind it, then wrapped it..?
>Thanks,
>Brian

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search