[nafex] raspberries, netting, and birds

What's you experience with birds eating raspberries?  Do you use
netting?  Do you need to?  Do you have enough that you don't mind
"sharing".

I have a ten foot row of everbearing fall red raspberries.  Until this
summer, I protected them from birds eating the berries by covering them
with bird netting draped on a light structure (which I took down each
winter.)  This summer, they suddenly shot up to 8' tall, outgrowing my
6' structure.  I had to pull back the netting because it was interfering
with growth (and obviously wasn't going to do any good, with the
fruiting ends up beyond it.)

I was all set to invest in a larger (and expensive) structure from which
to hang the netting, when I was talking to a fellow gardener in central
Mass. who said she never had trouble with birds in the raspberries.  She
said they denuded her cherry tree in 8 hours one day, leaving behind not
even a single pit, but have not bothered the raspberries.  Having little
space and being greedy, I want to grow as many raspberries for people in
the 10' row as possible, but I don't want to waste a lot of money and
time on protection I don't need.

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6