[nafex] Re: Honeycrisp & Wickson

Gord Hawkes wrote about his Novamacs.

I picked the last half-dozen Honeycrisps off my tree this morning - the
birds & hornets were rapidly devouring them, and it had only set maybe a
dozen fruit from the outset - one of only 2 or 3 trees in the whole orchard
that managed to hold any, following those two disastrous nights of
sub-freezing weather in mid-April.
While they were pretty small, due to virtually no care or fertilization
this year, they were VERY tasty - crunchy, firm, and a good tart/sweet
balance.  Even better than the Galas, which finished up several weeks back.

On another note, the tree I purchased as a "Wickson Crab" from Bear Creek
several years ago managed to set and hold a few apples, but they were NOT
anything like what I'd expect a 'crab' to be - actually a fairly large
apple, yellow with a red cheek.  Flavor nothing to hoot about, and rapidly
became mealy, almost like a Yellow Transparent(It's not YT or Lodi,
though).  Makes me think that one was mis-labeled.  Does anyone in the
group have Wickson, and if so, can you give a description of the fruit?
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

FREE COLLEGE MONEY