[nafex] Ayers pear on apple

 From time to time, we've discussed graft compatibility of various pear and
apple varieties, with some apple varieties, such as 'Winter Banana' having
the reputation of being graft compatible with a number of pear varieties.

I was out in the orchard yesterday evening, doing some end-of-the-season
clean-up around young trees, and had a look at some of the last pears I
grafted - two years ago, now, I think(or was it three?).
They were on the last batch of standard pear rootstocks I bought from the
now-defunct Bear Creek Nursery.
I'd had one of the 5 or so that I attempted to graft to 'Pineapple'  2 or 3
times that first year - I just couldn't get a take.  Once I gave up on it
and let it leaf out and grow, I realized why - it was an apple!

Well, one of the successful grafts that spring was "Ayers" - it took, and
grew quite vigorously.  It hasn't really done anything much the last two
seasons - but then again, it hasn't been fertilized, and weed/grass control
hasn't been accomplished very well, so...it's kind of been left to fend for
itself.
Anyway, when I had a look at it yesterday, I noticed some shoots coming up
from the rootstock, and after closer examination of the leaves & bark, I
realize that it too, is an apple - looks rather like a seedling crab.  The
Ayers is calipering faster than the seedling rootstock, and although it's
only about 4 ft tall, it looks like it's got some pretty decent fruiting
spurs established.

The other three trees(Magness, Warren, Luscious) grafted onto the same
group of rootstocks at that time have not grown very well, but upon
examination, I'm pretty sure they are on pear, and  their poor performance
is probably due to lack of care and low rainfall over the past 3 growing
seasons.

I'll keep the Ayers on apple to see how it does over the long haul, but
guess I'd better foster some off onto an established pear until I get some
more pear rootstocks going, in the event that it's not a long-lasting
compatibility.  I'll try to remember to keep the group apprised on the
long-term performance.

(Travis, if you can use this little note for the Southern Pear Interest
Group newsletter, feel free to do so.  I'm also hoping to get time in the
next day or so to bash together a little article on a visit I made this
past summer to an old orchard back home in AL.)

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95