[nafex] Re: summer pruning

I am all in favor of summer pruning to keep a tree small BUT, with
two reservations:
FIRSTLY: loss of trace minerals, a forester once told me that most of
the minerals are found in the buds. If you constantly prune away the
buds and haul them off elsewhere, you are effectively mining the soil
of minerals and trace minerals, the kind that you can't just buy in
your average mineral supplements as they are usually major minerals.
The perfect solution is to shred the prunings and place them back
underneath the tree whereby you establish an excellent environment
for growth as described previously on this webgroup under the
heading "ramially chipped wood".
SECONDLY: Summer pruning can increase the chance of the spread of
disease, especially fireblight. It could be a huge mistake to prune
under moiture, wind, temp, and insect conditions that favor the
spread of fireblight.
I summer pruned my first standard tree last summer and am anxious to
see how its growth will be affected next year.
How about the rest of you?
Kevin B

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!