[nafex] RE: Pear/hawthorn

Lucky asked:
Are there any pear varieties that are known not to be compatible with
hawthorn, as is the case with quince?  Or, will most Euro & Asian
pears work on hawthorn?

I just want to make the observation that much of the early work with
dwarfing apple rootstocks was confounded by virus infections.  Virus
infection was an invisible variable.  Some researchers would report
compatability and other researches would not be able to replicate.

Domestic cultivars tend to be fairly robust relative to latent
viruses.  Cultivars that were totally creamed tended to get culled
from the gene pool. I think wild species are far more variable in
their sensitivity to viruses.

So, "compatability" issues are sometimes latent virus issues in
disguise.  Personally, I would try the same cultivars that work well
with quince, Anjou, Duchesse, Comice, Maxine, Magness, etc.

-Joe

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.