Re: [nafex] moving seedlings

Hi,

I thought that you get better anchoring by cutting the tap root, as you
get a broader mass of finer roots.

Cannot recall precisely, but thought there was some tie to disease or
disease resistance by cutting tap.  An expert will be able to answer that.

Cannot remember where I read it, or which way proved better.

Later,
Tom
--

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, del stubbs wrote:

> I am ready to transplant the rest of the apricot seedlings into 12"
> growing
> tubes. They are in one pot together of sphagnum/soil mix. The seedlings
> are
> 1" to 4" tall and have many tiny leaves, look good, and have about 1" to
> 2"
> between them. (This is due to me finding this sprouted bag of seeds in
> the
> fridge 10 days ago - and figuring they needed planting immediatly)
> My wife is certain that to transplant them they should be cut out
> individually with a knife. When I did this I naturally cut side roots,
> and I
> broke off the tip of the taproot as well.
> My prejudice is to float the batch in a bucket of water and gently work
> them
> all apart, essentially barerooting them.
> What would you do? Thanks, Del
>
> Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM