Re: [nafex] grape cultivation

Bob:
    I'd have to see the picture to know more about it.  Do you mean the
vines had the soil behind them, like they were against a wall, or that the
dirt was hilled up around the vines?
    Incidently, I saw a book today that sounds like it's right up your alley
- "Wild Berries of the West" from Mountain Press Publishing.  All sorts of
edible and not very edible wild berries.  It's a recent book, too.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com

on 4/12/02 8:19 PM, Bob and Winnie at natvwine@cut.net wrote:

> This is a question for Lon (most likely):
>
> A couple of weeks ago in a news story about the dire drought in
> Afganistan there was a picture of an Afgan farmer tending to his
> vineyard. The dirt had been raised up in long hillocks (about a meter
> tall) and the vines were resting on the soil. They were still dormant
> and so I could not tell how high the new growth would be but the vines
> were pruned to be no higher than the soil.
> Does anyone know about this method?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bob Sorenson, Z4, Utah

Buy Stock for $4