[nafex] Medicinal uses of DARU, the wild Himalayan sour pomegranate.

Dear list members,

Among several promising Himalayan wild fruits which I a promote, is DARU.  It is a sour pomegranate that is still not cultivated.  Though its sugar content is over 10 per cent, yet it tastes sour due to high acid content. Its seeds are sundried to make ANARDANA which is an important condiment in Indian cookery.  Anardana sells at quite remunerative price in India.  So DARU is already commercial.

Here is a picture of DARU fruits.

Recently I came across an article describing its medicinal uses.

DIARRHOEA and DYSENTERY:  Dried rind is used.  Take one gram of this powder and one gram of dry ginger.  Take three times a day.

INFANTILE DIARRHOEA:  A decoction of DARU rind is a safe remedy for it.

ANOREXIA and ACIDITY:  Anardana stimulates salivary glands and promotes digestion and appetite.  It also has a cooling effect on body.
RECIPE: Take anardana 100 g, Anise seed 50 g, Sugar 100 g.  Grind and make small round pellets of about 2 grams each.  Take two tablets 2-3 times a day.  A little salt may also be added to improve the taste.

SPONGY and BLEEDING GUMS and MOUTH ULCERS:  Gargles with the decoction of daru flowers.

TOOTH POWDER:  Burn rind of mature daru fruits and get ash.  Use this ash as tooth powder.  It is very useful for teeth and gums.

TO THOSE LIST MEMBERS WHO ARE NEW TO DARU:  Daru has a small tree growing wild in forests and wastelands in the Himalayan mid hills.  The fruits are smaller than the regular pomegranates.  These ripen in August.  Daru does not require a dry climate and grows in the monsoon region.  The summer temperatures of the area are upto 38 C and the minimum winter temperature is - 5 C.  It may tolerate even lower temperature.

PROPAGATION;  Seeds germinate but cuttings taken during from selected trees bearing large sized fruits will be better.  Some sort of Institutional efforts will be required for selection of cuttings.  I AM READY TO COLLABORATE WITH SOME INSTITUTION NOT WORKING FOR PROFIT.

Members are free to write me for more information and pictures.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Plants
www.lesserknownplants.com

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.