Re: [nafex] New Chat Line?

Dear Ethan,
Perhaps the board is perplexed because they are mistaking ordinary
annoyance and frustration with paranoia.  Yahoo has been annoying from
the start, because it appeared to require that you set up a "yahoo id".
To anyone who doesn't automatically accept all cookies, this was a very
frustrating experience, because they actually need a lot of cookies
(unlike most sites, which set cookies to gather info, but don't actually
need them for anything but making a purchase.)  It was also frustrating
if you already ahd a yahoo ID (as I did) because old IDs were broken,
but the name couldn't be reused.  Then there was the further annoyance
of being asked a bunch of nosy questions.  You have to promise to give
Yahoo honest information to use the site.  To those of us who prefer
honesty, but don't like to hand out personal information to marketers,
this was quite unpleasant.  So Yahoo started out with about three
strikes against it:  Two frustrations and an annoyance.

Since then, they have told us they will use those nosy questions to send
us junkmail and direct telemarketers to our kitchens.  Some NAFEXers
apparently never did navigate the user-name thing, and so can't even get
in to say "please don't".  At the same time, Yahoo has started to charge
for previously free e-mail and its financial troubles are in the news.
There are rumors that it is losing groups, losing archives, etc., and
there is no support.  I think these recent developments have brought on
the urgency felt by some.

I subscribe to three other Yahoo-sponsored mailing lists.  I do think
it's interesting that no one has complained about Yahoo on them.  Maybe
that's because only one is active, and on that list, the members are too
busy bashing the American Peony Society to have any energy left over to
battle about software.  Maybe none of them had trouble with Yahoo.  Who
knows.  (I haven't complained over there because I don't care what
happens to that list.  But others clearly do.)

I'm perplexed that I keep hearing that the board doesn't really care
what happens to this list, and doesn't want to waste any resources on
it.  I have been a member of NAFEX for a couple of years, now.  I read
Pomona.  I haven't been able to attend any meetings.  I haven't borrowed
any books from the library (although I'm pleased to know I could.) This
list is by far the most useful membership benefit I've gotten from
NAFEX.  I've "met" lots of people, been given lots of helpful
information, and have possibly even been able to give useful info to
others.

Now I have to go type up a question about my poor ailing apple tree.

Best,
Ginda